Things I Can't Do

"I am always doing things I can't do, that's how I get to do them.” - Pablo Picasso

This quote is easily applicable to so many things. I can't do so much - put my feet behind my head, do a perfect handstand, program complicated software, weld, swim the english channel, instigate hugs with strangers, bake a perfect pie, sit in meditation comfortably for more than 18 minutes... But if I were to practice doing them... they are most certainly within my realm of capabilities.

For a very long time I figured I couldn't do this pose... but one day I tried... and I did it no problem. Many times I've gone without doing things simply because no one else asked me to do them. You don't know what you can do until you try. And if you fail - that doesn't mean it's never going to happen.

A lot of people find pictures of advanced yoginis in beautiful graceful postures to be frightening, intimidating, and suggestive of what they'll never be able to do. They become defeated before they even join the race. Now just the fact that I used the word "race" in regards to yoga is controversial, so I'll say right now that I just couldn't come up with a better term off the top of my head. Geeze.

I find pictures of those brilliantly practiced yoginis to be inspiring. They give me ideas of things to try, things to work towards - they keep me motivated. I post these women and men on my wall and on my computer desktop to remind me that if I were practicing right now - instead of sitting on my ass surfing the internet - I could be doing that pose (at least working toward it) instead of wishing I could.

Super-awesome photo from the gallery at Kino MacGregor's Site.

5 comments:

Angelia said...

I was the same way when I started yoga, I thought I would never be able to do anything, but as time went on the strength and balance came. We had a fire at our studio so, am just now getting back to practice after 6 months off. I have missed it so much. Great inspiration blog.

Burning Moon said...

Great blog post,I have been starting yoga myself it is very relaxing!

Please follow & Comment my blog back?
http://burningmoonproducts.blogspot.com/

wallcakes said...

I must admit, I find some poses very freaky to look at. I'm not sure the human body is meant to do some of them, so it strikes the brain as odd.

sara lee said...

Boo Hearts Expanding! Super post! I am so glad that I found you- and thank you for your comment on the PH- may I put up a link to your site on my next post?

I found you through Elsie and what I love about your posts is- like this one- they are 'reachable' and I love it! I have a home practice and am always looking on how to 'step- in- further' and you are inspiration.
Thank you-
peace,
slee

April said...

Thanks so much Sara Lee ♥

You can absolutely put up a link to my site on your next post! Yay!

I'm glad you're enjoying the posts and I hope to keep drumming up some inspiration in the future.