Sea Lions Do It and So Can You

In February I made it a goal to build a daily meditation practice. I've always meditated off and on, but I really wanted it to be something consistent because it is so beneficial and it just feels good. My goal, in the interest of being specific, said that I want to have meditated every single day without fail for 6 months before I called it a success. I started on February 20th so I'm supposing I"ll be congratulating myself in August. So far so good, but in July/August I'll be away from home for three weeks and then I'll really be tested.

Yesterday I was feeling very blah. It was just one of those days that everytime I had what I thought was a brilliant plan the Universe slapped me down. Eventually I just put on my pajamas and sat down to meditate. Almost immediately, I felt myself smile. At that point I realized - for me - it is impossible to be sad or unhappy in meditation. It is an instant pick me up. Awesome.

If you've never meditated, I suggest you give it a really good try. I know at first it can be weird and boring, but it does get easier and nicer. I mean look at this sea lion - he looks pretty content. I like to think he was riding waves of bliss when I took this picture. Wouldn't you like to be as awesome as this sea lion?

Try it right now. Give it 5 minutes. Get comfortable... it doesn't have to be lotus pose or anything... just sit. Put your hands in your lap or on your knees. Close your eyes and just watch your breath. Count them if you feel inclined. Soften your skin, relax your jaw, soften your eyelids and just breathe.

7 comments:

Muna's Treasures said...

that's a pretty zen-ned out seal ;-) i have trouble meditating on some days--usually the days i need it the most but when i push through it is always worth it! thanks for the reminder. i'm going to go meditate right now!

wallcakes said...

The sea lion does look pretty blissed out. Meditating is something I've never been able to master.

I was always distracted in school too. Learning how is something I definitely want to do.

cabin + cub said...

Oh he does look very relaxed indeed.
i would be too, if i were sunbathing in a pool right now. ;)

Almost Precious said...

Great blog and wonderful advice. Our world and our lives are filled with stress, appointments to meet, things to do, places to go, work to get done. Sometimes we need to be reminded to relax, take time out for ourselves and clear all the clutter out of our minds for a few minutes.
BTW - I'm now following your blog. :)

ModredVintage said...

It sounds like you're doing a great job making your goal. I need to make more time for it.

Rachel said...

Sounds so relaxing, I will certainly try this tonight before bed :)

and that sealion is adorable :D

nichole said...

I want to look as happy and calm as that sea lion. :)

Now, if I can just find a few minutes ...