Chandra Namaskar



Yoga is relatively mainstream these days, so most of you have probably heard of Sun Salutations - aka Surya Namaskar. Unfortunately, it's just as likely that most of you have never heard of the salute to the sun's sister-sequence Chandra Namaskar aka Moon Salutation.

I've mentioned that my first yoga class was a college class. For midterms we got split into groups and had to "perform" as a group either the Sun Salutation or the Moon Salutation to show that we'd learned something. I was pretty psyched when my group got the Sun salutation because I felt it was easier and shorter. Since I've grown as a yogini I've found myself searching for that moon salutation and I finally found this video of it so I wanted to share it with you today.

The Moon Salutation is done in honor of the moon just as the sun salutation is done in respect to the sun. The moon provides the yin to the sun's yang by representing the feminine principle. Moon Salutations nurture an inner calm and turning inward - rather than the energetic opening of the sun salutation.
I'd also like to add that I am in love with Chandra Namaskar now... now that I've had some experience and I know what I'm doing and I'm not being graded on it.

2 comments:

Prefecta said...

Thank you so much for this!
PrefectaBlog

Hali said...

hahah My mom use to make me do yoga with her when I was little. It helped calm me and make me sleepy.

I am just stopping by to say thank you for your comment on my blog about vegetarians. It was very helpful